Although the process of closing on your new home is bound to be hectic, making time for your final walk-through is critically important. The goal of a final walk-through is to make certain that the home is in the condition that you expect it to be. Hopefully, the sellers have already moved out by the time of the walk-through. It’s your last opportunity to make sure that the appliances are in working order and that agreed-upon repairs have been performed. Here are some things you should check as you’re making your final walk-through. You don’t want to overlook anything!
- Repairs to the home that have been requested have been completed, with copies of receipts and warranties in your possession (just in case).
- There have been no major changes to the property since the last time you viewed it.
- Every item included in the sale price is still there.
- All screens and storm windows are in place or in safe keeping.
- Appliances are operational – dishwasher, oven, washer and dryer, etc.
- Doorbell, alarm system, and other security features are working.
- Check the faucets and showers to make sure the hot water heater is working.
- All remotes are present, such as remotes for the garage door opener.
- Warranties and manuals for the appliances and fixtures are available.
- All of the seller’s personal items have been removed and all debris cleaned out. Make sure to check every space in the home – main rooms, closets, attic, basement, etc.
By thoroughly checking the property, you are ensuring that the property in real life is the same property as the one on paper. Any problems you have can be handled before you sign on the dotted line. And if there are no problems, congratulations! You are one step closer on the path to homeownership!
A Title Company You Can Trust: Colony Title
At Colony Title, we will help you through the process of getting your property’s title and help you take advantage of the record low mortgage rates to come. We specialize in real estate title insurance in both Maryland and Washington, D.C., and we will perform an expert title search, check through all past documentation, and examine records for any fraud or forgery. For more information on how we can get you into the home of your dreams, contact us online or give us a call at (410) 884-1160. To get more updates on housing markets and how to get into your home, follow us on Facebook,Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.