Title insurance is one of the least understood, yet incredibly necessary insurance policies around. Because of this, we have covered what is title insurance, the benefits of title insurance, is title insurance required when buying a home, the importance of choosing your own title company, and how to choose a title insurance company, all in previous blogs. But one question we have not adequately covered is What Does Title Insurance Cover?
Standard coverage handles such risks as:
- Forgery and impersonation;
- Lack of competency, capacity or legal authority of a party;
- Deed not joined in by a necessary party (co-owner, heir, spouse, corporate officer, or business partner);
- Undisclosed (but recorded) prior mortgage or lien;
- Undisclosed (but recorded) easement or use restriction;
- Erroneous or inadequate legal descriptions;
- Lack of a right of access; and
- Deed not properly recorded.
Extended coverage policy may be needed to protect against such additional defects as:
- Off-record matters, such as claims for adverse possession or prescriptive easement;
- Deed to land with buildings encroaching on land of another;
- Incorrect survey;
- Silent (off-record) liens (such as mechanics’ or estate tax liens); and
- Pre-existing violations of subdivision laws, zoning ordinances or CC&R’s.
- Post-policy forgery;
- Forced removal of improvements due to lack of building permit (subject to deductible);
- Post-policy construction of improvements by a neighbor onto insured land; and
- Location and dimensions of insured land (survey not required).
We at Colony Title want to be your title company and real estate law firm. For additional information, please contact Tee Tillman at 410.884.1160 ext. 3007 or visit ColonyTitle.com today!
About Colony Title Associates:
Founded in 1995, Colony Title Group handles in excess of 2000 real estate closings per year in the central Maryland area. The founder Tee Tillman has over 23 years experience in the title and real estate law fields. Colony handles closings for several lenders, including banks, credit unions and mortgage brokers. Colony is the preferred choice for many real estate brokers in the area.
Tags: Benefits of Title Insurance, buying a home, Colony Title, real estate law firm, Real Estate Tips, Tee Tillman, Title Company, Title Insurance, Title Insurance Company, What Does Title Insurance Cover, What is Title Insurance